Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week 5 Pt. 2 - Composition: Two Links

For the second part of my composition research, I did a more formal internet search, specifying portrait and glamor photography and compositional tricks. I ended up with two very handy links, after reading through page after page of generalized information:

1) The Perfect Pose

This website is a literal goldmine of compositional tricks and inspiration. You can search by type of photography and the author will provide a multitude of reference shots as well as a written explanation of the why and the how.

2) Jake Garn Photography: Composition

This photographer blogs about how the rule of thirds is imperfect in a way, and explains how. He prefers the Golden Ratio method of looking at composition.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great links and the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    I want to thank you for sharing the blog from Jake Garn. The "Divine Porportion" theory is a great concept and the ideals that are mentioned seem to be correct. Of course on a spiritual note,the number 3 is God's number.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Perfect Pose link is an awesome resource!

    Isn't it wonderful that we have so much right at out fingertips? In years past you would have to buy a ton of film and hope that you beginning creations were worth the money spent and hope that you could meet up with a photographer who would be willing to help.

    Now we have this resource and so many incredibly wonderful people who are willing to share. And, this is just one link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love having the "why and how"! What a great link. What stood out the most to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam - What stood out most to me was actually in the couples posing section I believe, where the photographer said that they set up the composition of the shot without the models being involved at all. Once the shot is fantastic even by itself, he then adds in the models. I really liked the idea of the models NOT being the only point of interest in a shot. I think viewing the composition this way is one of the steps that takes a good photograph and turns it in to ART.

    ReplyDelete