This week I would like you to take some portrait shots and post at least one to your blog. When you post please let us know the difficulties you ran into with this assignment and how you solved them.
I have been doing portraiture all along, but I wanted to post my most recently-edited photo from a shoot I did with Marissa. My friend Dylon of Intensity Photography allowed me to use his studio setup and work with him as Marissa modeled. I updated a photo from this before, but this is my favorite shot of the night:

This was my first time working in a studio setting and I had to do a lot of tweaking to make sure I was keeping my subject within the confines of the backdrop and pointed towards the best light source. I was also in a narrow living room so it was hard for me to get the angles I wanted on Marissa. I was getting in to some very awkward positions to add some depth to my extremes. I did end up actually working more with Marissa to position her where I could get a better angle. I would ask her to scootch one way or turn another and once I started doing that it helped a lot.
This weekend I intend to model for some shots that I am setting up for a costume I created, so I may some out with some more photos come Monday. We'll see!
Nice Job! I love how professional it looks! I would love to be able to utilize an actual studio! I bte it wa tons of fun?!
ReplyDeleteThe lighting and composition are excellent in this photo. And the dark black background makes it work really well by making it more intense. The only concern I have with this is that there is an elbow above her nose and it's not connected to anything. Did you cut out the rest of the arm around her face? No big deal, just remember, when you are doing portrait photography you want to keep things as simple as possible. If you are going to do model photography then you want to be extremely aware of the shapes and angles that are created from the positive and negative spaces. Portrait photography is about the person and trying to evoke the person's personality or mood. In Model photography that person becomes an object to create a design.
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteI read what Mr.Burke wrote you. I understand his point of view. The photo is a beautiful
vision of hair and profile.
Angela
This is a nice shot. I would like to see others from the same shoot. The benefits of using professional equipment is evident. Good work.
ReplyDeleteKevin - She actually was holding her hair up over her face with her right arm and that is why her elbow is there. Once i looked at the actual photo I realized that it was very out of place. I should have told her to crank her elbow out more so it would be hidden behind her head. I need to work on paying more attention to composition WHILE shooting and not just after!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many variables that come into play when trying to do any creative activity. That is why you must do things over and over and over again. Like taking hundreds of photos in hopes that you get one or two that are awesome. Over time, it will become second nature for you to notice all the little things that make a photograph excellent. This photo, and the series it came from, are just one step in that process. You are doing a wonderful job, just keep making those steps.
ReplyDeleteI would like to see some of the other shots from this series as well if this one is any indication I am sure that you have many other wonderful photos.