This is outside our normal assignment, but I was thinking as I was searching through some of my favorite photographs, that keeping the focal point in the center of the frame can be very effective in its own way. I noticed that most of the responses to my classmate's posted rule of thirds photos all agreed that putting the subject in the center of the photograph was the less attractive placement. I felt the need to show some art that speaks differently to me:





I think the reason why these photos are all so effective is the more subtle use of line, value, color, light, and movement.
All images and profiles of the photographers can be found off
my DeviantArt favorites list, along with some of the other pieces of art I am in love with.
You are right on with your observation of the use of line, value and so on. All "rules" were meant to be broken in one way or another, or used more subtly so it will bring even more attention to the subject. This is very effective especially in portrait or fashion shots. Because you want the subject to take center stage, but still need to have some dynamics to make it interesting. This is accomplished by the use of line, value, direction and so on.
ReplyDeleteMost of the photos use the rule of thirds in some way. If you take a grid and place it over all of the photos, you will see that even though the subject is centered, some of the elements are on the lines of thirds or there is something there that takes your eye out of the center, slightly off balance.
Like some of the other classmates' posts have shown, these rules are merely guidelines to use when you are not sure otherwise......
I agree about these photos. I mentioned also that some photos looked just fine captured in the center of the picture. It is great that you remind us that with these other techniques of line, value, etc, that photos that appear "plain" and centered actually ARE eye catching if photographed with a little out of the box thinking!
ReplyDelete